Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What's Going On With These Jerseys?

By Matt Lyons

When I was in middle school, I was your typical white kid from a lower-middle income family in a small town. I played on sports teams that were successful… against other small town teams, I definitely texted people with Verizon too much from my Sprint account (causing their bill to skyrocket), and I LOVED My Chemical Romance. Does anybody remember the title of the album that was huge for MCR?

“It’s Not a Fashion Statement, It’s a Death wish”

Why do I bring back such angsty and emo feelings for us all? Because the new NBA uniforms that continue to be released are some of the worst pieces of fashion I’ve seen since untied Etnies and carrying Walkman cd players around. Here are a few of the horrible ideas I have seen for uniforms for the upcoming season:



Along with the Clippers new logo, these jerseys scream 5th seed for the next 4 years and no legitimate chance at a title. Why? Because no team or fan can take a team seriously that allows Austin Rivers to wear this--let alone suit up at all--as he gets too many minutes and takes too many shots. 



At first, the Hawks jerseys were kind of cool to me. I like the half triangle thing they have to make them shiny. Overall, the main thing I see with these uniforms is that they are too desperate to try and look like an Oregon football concept jersey. Bright numbers, shiny material, and something that will try to make Tiago Splitter appear fast, just does not work for the Hawks. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Kyle Korver who owns the white man’s motto of “I’ll dunk when it’s worth 3 points”, but I just think this looks like what McDonalds would try to make a Big Mac box look like in 2030. They should have consulted Jermaine Dupri before releasing these. 






No comment needed.


Now, there are some jerseys I do like for the upcoming year. The Bucks are perfect for a team that is making the move to Seattle in the future (I’m desperate for the Bucks; bring me the Greek Freak, please).


Look at these jerseys. They are so simple and clean. Milwaukee knows their place in the NBA. That place is "don’t make too much noise because we’re going to sneak up on everybody while OJ Mayo has a career revival."

Or not

Overall, it seems the theme for new uniforms is to have block letters with little curves, if any at all. With all of the Western Conference teams getting healthy, both the Rockets and Clippers have a death wish of divisional round losses. 

GO BUCKS

Pics and other shit courtesy of:






No comments:

Post a Comment